Jealousy is an emotion that we all experience at times. We want to be the best and have a hard time accepting someone else who we perceive is better than us. Jealousy can play havoc with our relationships. We often accuse the other person of being inconsiderate and disloyal if he or she happens to show attention to a person other than you.
Women are often accused of being vain because they love compliments. If a man admires them, they feel very excited and happy about it. Yet, they feel jealous if the same man admires another woman. They run down the other woman, accuse the man of being a flirt and make a serious appraisal of themselves as to where they are lacking.
Jealousy can make you vicious, and you may come across as an ill-tempered person. Soit is important to overcome this emotion. Overcoming this feeling of jealousy is not so easy, and requires the will to do so. Here are a few ways of overcoming it:
How to Overcome Jealousy
- Try to understand the underlying cause of your jealousy and deal with it. You may find it difficult to appreciate another beautiful woman, and you find pleasure in finding faults in a person better looking than you. You might do this because you do not appreciate yourself and underestimate your own looks
- Build up your own self-esteem. A poor image of yourself can make you critical of others. You need to be more confident and self-assured
- Be sure of what is happening and not what you imagine is happening. You may perceive a threat that is not there. Are you sure that your relationship will be affected by another woman?
- Positive self-talk is good way out. You can boost your confidence with self-affirmations
- Seek reassurance. It helps when others appreciate you and make you feel secure about yourself. Even in a relationship, you can seek reassurance from your partner
- Seek an objective opinion about yourself. Sometimes you may underestimate or overestimate your own qualities. A good friend can be honest with you about your attributes. He or she can also tell whether you are behaving in a jealous manner
- Do not compare yourself with others. Accept yourself the way you are. By feeling jealous about someone else’s happiness and prosperity, you will fail to enjoy your own well-being, and will never appreciate what you have. Under such circumstances, you will feel miserable
- Always try to be forwarding looking. If you feel something is lacking in you, you can change it by working towards it. If you missed out on a job and someone else got it, you need not feel jealous. There are other opportunities out there for you
- You can change your thoughts and emotions. For example, if you have a thought that says you are not all that beautiful, you can change it by appreciating what is nice about you
- Keep a positive attitude. Negative feelings and emotions can cause much jealousy. Try to appreciate yourself as well as others
Avoid jealousy as it will only make you miserable and appear to be an unfriendly person. A person who is jealous never appreciates what he or she has. Accepting reality, coming to terms with yourself, and complimenting others will make you popular on the social circuit, and help prevent jealous feelings.