Magnesium is an important nutrient for healthy functioning of the body system. It is available in considerable amounts in the body. It is useful for muscle relaxation, the manufacturing of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which is the main energy molecule of the body.
Magnesium is an important electrolyte and mineral and is also known as magnesium citrate, Mag Gluconate, Mag Oxide and Elemental Magnesium.
Magnesium is also known as channel blocker of calcium. It prevents calcium from entering the heart cells and muscles. The need for magnesium grows as we age. Alcohol abuse, diabetes, surgery, zinc and diabetes, estrogen as well as oral contraceptives reduce the magnesium level in the body or increase its requirements. In case, you are taking potassium supplements, it is advisable to take magnesium as well for benefiting from potassium. Naturally, magnesium natural treatment can help in the treatment of health problems.
Items That Contain Magnesium
- Kelp has high levels of magnesium.
- Wheat germ and bran.
- Whole grains.
- Collard greens, avocado, cheddar cheese, shrimp, sunflower seeds, dried fruit and several other common vegetables and fruits.
How is Magnesium Beneficial for Health?
- Prevents headaches caused by migraine.
- Prevents loss of hearing caused by loud noises.
- Prevents kidney stones.
- Helps in treating high blood pressure.
- Helps relieve menstrual cramps.
- Useful in providing relief in leg cramps caused by pregnancy.
- Magnesium supplements can improve blood sugar control.
- Magnesium can reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, which is caused by hydrogenated oils.
- Magnesium at times is used to reduce the restless leg syndrome.
- It has been recommended for Alzheimer’s disease.
- Helps get rid of fatigue.
- Beneficial in the treatment of fibromyalgia.
- Aids in attention deficit disorder.
- Useful in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Magnesium is recommended for stabilizing the heart after a heart attack.
- Helps prevent stroke.
- In the case of angina, magnesium helps in improved exercise tolerance and higher quality of life
- Can improve symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome.
- Useful for muscle relaxation.
- Helps in the treatment of asthma.
- Useful for alcohol withdrawal.
Side effects of Magnesium Intake
One must, of course, brief the doctor about one’s health condition before taking magnesium. It is better to consult a physician, in case you are breastfeeding or are pregnant etc. In case, you are suffering from side-effects such as chest pain, breathing problems, tightness in throat, rash, skin hives, itchiness or swollen skin, then it is better to consult a doctor. Large doses may cause diarrhea.
Magnesium is an important mineral, essential for the proper functioning of our body system. It helps us to recover from many ailments and prevents quite a few ailments. Magnesium natural therapy benefits us in many ways.