Dental implants are preferred by patients to dentures, as they are more comfortable and reliable. The cost of fixing is more, but the durability is much more and the patient benefits on a long term basis. In any fixation, there are problems that a patient faces with the fixation. The question that
arises is how to avoid such dental implant related problems.
Both the dentist as well as the patient has to take good care that the fixed dental implant is well maintained after the fixation. A well- experienced dentist usually does not make any mistakes, but nevertheless mistakes can occur. Similarly, the patient must keep his or her teeth as well as dental implant clean.
Before we proceed how to avoid dental implant problems, we must understand what problems we can face with the fixation of the dental implant. Usually, dental implants are considered to be reliable, but sometimes problems do occur with them.
Problems occurring with dental implant fixation
- Bacterial infection of the dental implant occurring in the office of the dentist.
- Dental implant can get infected in the factory.
- The dental implant can break.
- The implant can also become loose.
- Damage of the nerve.
- Peri-implantitis- swelling or inflammation of the tissues that surround the fixation area.
Avoiding dental implant related problems is the responsibility of both the dentist as well as the patient.
How can dental implant problems be avoided?
- The dentist has to ensure that the dental implant does not get infected.
- The patient must maintain proper oral hygiene.
- One must ensure that there is no breakage of the implant.
- One must be careful not to bite very hard substances.
- Any gum bleeding surrounding the gums must be checked up.
- Dentist must provide the patient with proper instructions to take care of the dental implant.
- If one is smoker, then one must give up the habit.
- Proper scanning must be done by the dentist in order to ensure that the dental implant is fixed in the proper place.
- Proper bone density must be ensured that the dental implant does not fall out.
- Peri-implantitis, inflammation of the surrounding tissues needs to be avoided with the help of anti-biotics, proper cleaning etc.
- The dentist must not place the dental implant on top of a nerve accidentally.
- Sufficient healing time must be given.
After-care of dental implants is very essential in order to ensure their longevity. Both the dentist as well as the patient has to ensure this.