Pomegranate is a tropical fruit that grows mainly in the Southeast Asian countries such as India, Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan, Malaysia, tropical parts of Africa and parts of California and Arizona. It is considered as the native fruit of India and Pakistan. It is highly nutritious and has numerous health benefits which are as follows:
- Anti Oxidant source: Pomegranate is a rich source of anti-oxidants. Hence they keep LDL or bad cholesterol under control by preventing them from oxidizing and in this process they also prevent atherosclerosis.
- Cardiovascular Health Improvement: It regulates cardiovascular activities and is highly recommended for people suffering from heart disorders. It also acts as prevention for heart attacks and strokes. Pomegranate Juice protects the arteries by preventing plaques from building up in the arteries thereby preventing clumping of blood platelets and formation of clots. It raises HDL or good cholesterol level.
- Cancer Prevention: It is especially good in fighting and preventing breast cancer. It destroys breast cancer cells and prevents them from forming while keeping the healthy cells intact. It is also good in preventing lung cancer as it inhibits the development of cancerous cells in the lungs. It is also effective in eliminating and lessening the growth of prostate cancer.
- Regulating PSA levels: Pomegranate juice helps to regulate PSA levels and also keeps them stable. As a result it reduces the need for further treatment such as hormone therapy and chemotherapy.
- Pregnancy Health: Maternal intake of pomegranate juice during pregnancy can be very effective in protecting the neonatal brain from damage after an unprecedented injury.
- Other benefits: It is very efficient in preclusion of osteoarthritis as it prevents deterioration of cartilage. It slows down the growth of Alzheimer’s disease and also helps in its prevention. It regulates blood pressure levels and is beneficial for high pressure patients. Pomegranate prevents dental plague and enhances oral health.